Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My Little Old Man ~ Part II


My alarm went off at 7:00am reminding me that I needed to take my little old man that I met yesterday back to Monro today to get his car.  I slowly drag myself out of bed and start to get ready.  Well…………. I called him, like I told him I would when I was ready to pick him up.  I shouldn’t have been surprised when my little old man stood me up!   
 

Can you believe it?  An 86 year old man stood me up!  Well I never...  
I call my little old man's house.  His son-in-law answered the phone.

The son-in-law: “Ya they just left a little bit ago headin’ for Monro’s. He tried to call you but there was no answer.”

Wait a minute, he tried to call me? My phone didn’t ring, no one tried to call me, he must have wrote my number down wrong, how could this have gotten so screwed up; is now going through my head. Did I mention that my little old man was calling me from his house and they don’t have long distance on their landline?  Oh my gosh, no long distance?  As realization set in that my little old man stood me up, I said out loud….

“How do I get myself into these messes!!!”
You know that country song titled “Did I shaved my legs for this!”
 
Well, it came to mind along with a few other things that I won’t mention.  A girl doesn't like to be stood up.  But a WOMAN really hates to be stood up!   
 
I called Monro and Doug answered the phone.  Nice guy.  Manager at the shop.

Doug:  They're not here yet, but, his car isn't finished anyway.” 

So now what do I do. I can't find my little old man that I promised to help. I decided to drive to Monro and meet them since I knew that the car wasn’t ready. So instead of driving out to Bethesda, I just had to drive to St. Clairsville.  I had my hand on the door knob……when...
When my little old man calls me.

MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  “Dana, I’m over here at the hospital.  My daughter dropped me off on her way to work.”

ME TALKING TO MYSELF:  WHAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!   I SHAVED MY LEGS FOR THIS??????  STAY CALM, Dana, IT’S OK.  DEEP BREATHS.  That’s better, you’re ok, talk nice to your little old man.  It’s not his fault that you don’t get out of bed until noon.

ME:  “You’re at the hospital?”

MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  “I tried to call you but there was no answer and I was afraid that my car wouldn’t be ready and I'd miss my appointment.  My daughter had to be in Youngstown so I just had her take me to the hospital.”

ME:  “Oh, ok.”

MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  “My appointment isn’t until 10:00 and I have to wait two hours before I can get in to see the doctor.” 

ME:  “You go ahead and go upstairs and sign in and maybe they will take you earlier.”

MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  “Ok, I’ll do that”.

ME:  “Then call me when you are done and I will come and get you.”

MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  “You know how to get here?”
ME:  "Yes, I have been there before."
MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  "I think it's exit 2A or 2B.  I can't remember."

ME:  “I'll find it.  When you call me wait in the lobby for me, ok?”

MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  “Ok”

When I picked him up, he told me he had gotten bad news.  My heart just sank.  
 

We get to Monro's and he paid his bill.  We walk out to get into our separate cars and he hugged me and told me how much he appreciated me helping him. 
 

He didn’t want me to leave.  He hugged me again and asked me if he could pay me for my gasoline and take me out to lunch.  I told him it was my pleasure to be able to help him and it was God that put me in his path to help him.  (Did I tell you that I had found $20.00 in a box that I was cleaning out? There was the gas money.) When that conversation was over he knew it was time leave, he dropped his head down and said
MY LITTLE OLD MAN:  “Well…” 
Then he just stood there for the longest time.  It was just heartbreaking.  We hugged one more time and I got into my truck and drove off and he waved.  Most likley I'll never see him again.  I hope he does well with his health.  Promise to my little old man ~ completed.

8:06 PM ~ The Little Old Man calls me. 

 

 
             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers