Thursday, October 16, 2008

Something New I'm Trying

The new way to communicate. Wow! Remember you would communicate with friends and family by telephone or US mail? Blogging reminds me of the dreaded "Christmas Letter" that would come in your Christmas Card from a family member that you never saw except for maybe at a funeral. But Blogging is so much better than that 'ol "Christmas Letter"!


Since I have moved from my family and friends, it seems that we are not as close as we used to be. So, maybe this will help us keep up with each other's daily lives. I don't think I'll be blogging everyday because my life isn't that exciting. But, every now and then I'll have a post on here for you to read.


I have a new hobby that I started working with in July. I'll keep you updated on that. I also have a new Grandson that was born in September. I'd like to share my feelings about him on here, too. And anything else that I find interesting that I think you would like to read about I'll put on here.


So, let's start with the Grandson! I have always told my girls not to have any kids. I never really got all excited over children, let alone Grandchildren, so, when Jaime told me she was pregnant I couldn't believe this Grandchild thing was going to happen to me! In my opinion, her telling me that they were going to get a new puppy was soooo much better than a Grandchild. So, I followed Jaime's blog all through her pregnancy and saw how her tummy was growing. But it really didn't hit me that I was getting a Grandchild. Not until my sister, Darcy, bought me a subscription to Grand Magazine did I finally get excited. Of course, I was hoping for a little girl. What do I know about little boys. I had two sisters and two daughters, so, it was just natural to want a little girl. All of our family's pet dogs were female! Did I mention how Jaime was my difficult child? *smile* I told her not to have kids. So what does she do? She gets pregnant. Great. Then I wanted a little girl. What does she have? A little boy! What the heck? Doesn't this daughter of mine listen to anything I tell her?


So, the big day comes and Jodi (my second daughter) and I drive to Knoxville, TN to meet my new Grandson and Jodi's nephew. Of course, Jodi was all excited from the git-go. She couldn't wait to get to the hospital to hold him! I on the other hand, was very hesitant. Ok, so they hand me this little boy and he must have heard that I wasn't all that excited about him. The little bugger is laying in my arms and at 2 hours old, he smiled at me!! Can you believe it? He gives me his very first smile. No, it wasn't gas. It was an honest to goodness smile!! Ok, so, now I'm impressed even though everyone said that babies only smile when they have gas. I don't think so. He was getting on my good side. Seriously, the kid is not dumb! So guess what happens, I'm starting to really like this kid! But wait, there is more! This kid isn't stupid. He knows he needs to work on me a little bit more. So, the next day I'm holding him up on my shoulder. The little bugger lifts his head and kisses me right on the cheek!! No kidding! He kisses me! Ok, I'm in love now!! He won me over. He has earned the right to call me "Grandma". His name is Jace Alan Carr. He goes by "Pod" because in his sonagram, he looked like a pea in a pod. Little Pea Pod. Pod has had a few problems, but, seems to be doing really well.
I stayed with Jaime and Joe for the first week to help out. Jodi had to go back to work. She took my truck and left me stranded in TN. I don't like TN. Later that week I find out that she can't come back to get me. She had my truck in Ohio. I would have taken the bus back to Wheeling, WV where she could have picked me up. Did I mention that Jodi has the best boy friend ever? He drove 8 hours from St. Clairsville to Knoxville to pick me up. Knowing all along that he was going to have to drive back to St. Clairsville with me in the truck for 8 hours! What a guy!
A month later, I was back down in TN helping Jaime when Joe went back to work. I explained to Jaime that it wasn't good to keep picking up the baby and holding him all the time. How much better it would be for her and Joe if they would lay him in his bed and let him cry for a while before picking him up again. That way he would learn how to fall asleep himself. Did you know that when you become a Grandma that you can spoil your grandchildren? I just couldn't keep my hands off of him. One day I wasn't feeling well and told Jaime that Pod was like medicine. He made me feel so much better. So I held him all day and really never put him down! This Grandma thing is pretty cool!


1 comment:

  1. You're the best grandma and mother ever! I love your blog. It made me laugh out loud! I'm going to mark it to follow so I can keep up with everything, although we talk almost daily! LOL I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers